Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Piranhas

OK, the first question a lot of people ask when I say that I am swimming in the Amazon every day is this... "what about the piranhas?"  Fair enough, and the fact is the river is teeming with them.  Happily, they have plenty to eat this time of year, e.g. when the water is high.  It is during the dry season that they get stressed - and dangerous.  

Having said this, my staff was busy today catching piranhas to help me get a shot of a boto actually catching a live fish.  This involved using about 30-40 live fish and a nearly endless series of comic disasters, from fish that just swam away (and beyond the reach of my camera) before a boto could catch them,  to Wellingthon losing part of his fingertip, trying to grab one for me. 


In the end, I got a handful of modestly successful shots of dolphins with live piranhas in their jaws.  But who knows if they ever eat piranhas?  I certainly don't.  But this is my only hope of getting dolphins catching fish...  Don't be surprised if they don't make it into the magazine...

Love to all,

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home