Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Near the end...


I have only two field days left before heading home.  This is both welcome news (I miss Marty something fierce) but also a bit daunting since I have little time left to make magic happen, and play out some lingering, untested ideas  ...  

One of my daily challenges is that I have to work around the fact that tourists are using the same location to see/feed the wild dolphins, but sometimes there are so many that it makes my work nearly impossible...  

Still, I managed to get shots of dolphins throwing wood and picking up leaves...  Doesn't sound like much, but both are natural behaviors that I am pleased to have captured.  Tossing things, in particular, seems to be part of courtship, as if throwing stuff around shows that you are strong and sexy and....?   I need to research this, but it is quite possible that no one knows enough about Botos yet to be sure what this behavior means.  

My friend and Boto Researcher, Tony Martin, has written a paper about boto "carrying" like this and it is possible that what I am seeing is related.  The fact is that there is still a lot we don't know about these animals...

OK, enough for now.  For comic relief, here is a picture of my boat driver  "Touch" (a.k.a. Toti) pretending he is a Boto.  Very funny guy despite the fact that we hardly share 3 words of vocabulary.

Love to all,

Kevin

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had the most best time at the beach house but you were missed. I can't wait to see all your wonderful pictures.

much love,

Amy

July 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home