Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Tail Tale


Every day I go out with a picture in mind that I want to get, and for a week I have been wanting a shot of a boto from BEHIND, e.g. with their flukes filling most of the frame and their body swimming away.  Don't ask me why I want this, it has just been an obsession, and I have been struggling to get it. Until today.

After Wellingthon and I finished a session in the river, we were swimming back to the platform.  A couple of botos followed us -- not for our sparkling personalities, but because they thought we might have fish...  They followed W. along the surface, like eager puppies begging for a treat, and I suddenly discovered that I could just hang back and take shot after shot of their flukes as the swam with him.  It never occurred to me that this might work, but it worked like a charm.  Wow!.  I already have several workable shots, but I have warned W. that tomorrow I will make him swim back and forth across the river about 100 times!

Christoph took this photo of me coming up from a rope dive and spouting like a whale....

Love to all,

Kevin

2 Comments:

Blogger tonyord said...

Kevin, we are creating some wonderful mental images of your pics, which, with patience, we will no doubt see. However, we are also imagining how the contorted photographer is looking, in pursuit of the pics. Can you get W to take shots of some of your more interesting underwater positions so we have something to see please.
Best Wishes
Tony and Sheila

July 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Steve Shuey said...

Great composition. Got the water spout in a diagonal and your reflection in the water. Wonderful. Seriously, like Tony said, the images we are creating in our minds from your commentary is great and just adds to the anticipation of the story in NG. More shots of you working eh? Take it easy, as much as you can when not underwater. Kristine, Alex, and Daniel all say hi.

July 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home