Sunday, July 6, 2008

Uncomfortable Surprise

OK, last time I was here my guide assured me, as I was spending 8 hours a day in the water, that there were no piranhas in this river.  (I suppose I should have been skeptical when I noticed that he was missing several toes...)  Today, however, I have it on good authority, that there are INDEED piranhas all through this river system.

However, piranhas usually have plenty to eat, especially during this - the flooded season.  They apparently only get nasty during the dry season when they get stuck in shrinking pools and get very, very hungry.  

So the word is that I will be FINE.  Good to know since tomorrow I start getting in the water again.  My goal, to get shots of dolphins swimming between the flooded trees underwater. This is absolutely essential for the story I want to tell.   Wish me luck.

Love to all.

2 Comments:

Blogger tonyord said...

Hi Kevin, receiving you loud and clear.
If you have piranha problems I'm told that their attentions can be diverted with a dead horse, if you are able to find one!
You didn't say whether they were plus or minus metres.
Good luck sounds exciting maybe I should have come, the weather's awful here.
Tony

July 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Lemurlady said...

Hey Kev, I feel left out. Tony said he should of gone with you! How come I wasn't invited on this expedition?!?!?! Ha! Thanks, but no thanks! I grew up in a family with 2 pet piranhas (besides some of my brothers, that is)! They eventually ended up in the same tank!!! There's only one BOSS right?!?! Need I say more! I'll pass on swimming with the piranhas and take my chances being stalked by a fossa in my effort to photograph every species of lemur!
Nanc aka Lemurlady

July 7, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home