Saturday, July 5, 2008

Getting Started

Rio Negro, Brazilian Amazon

Getting here is no part of the fun.  Two full days of travel, with delays, crowded flights, and bad food combined to make the journey as unpleasant as it usually is.  I was particularly concerned about getting all my luggage with me, intact.  Last year, I had gear stolen out of my luggage at Miami airport, so this time I retrieved it at every stop - no point in arriving in the Amazon without my underwater housing, or tripod.

Now, after 48+ hours of traveling and a combined 5 hours of sleep, I am in the Amazon.  The water is as high as I have ever seen it, which will work perfectly for trying to get pictures of Botos in the Igapo - or flooded forest.  

But first things first.  I have arranged for a special wooden floating platform to be built, and my first order of business on this my first afternoon, is to make sure it will work.  The idea is to be able to move it to photogenic areas and be able to shoot dolphins from 3 levels - 1 meter, 3 meters and 5 meters.  It looks like a handmade Olympic diving board set-up and my chief concern is how I'm going to haul my gear up to the top with my legendary fear of heights

More soon. Love to all.

Kevin

2 Comments:

Blogger Lemurlady said...

Dear Kev,
I'm sure you brought 2 cameras with you so give one to whoever is your assistant so they can get a shot of you on top of the platform diving board! You have a Fear of heights?!?!?! Just pretend you're back in Ankarana, Madagascar hanging out with the Crown Lemurs at the Tsingy! Then let it rip baby!
Lemurlady

July 7, 2008 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We agree, we want to see a pic of you up on top of that platform.. XOXO Kimber & Co.

July 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home