Monday, July 7, 2008

A Sense of Place

When I presented this Amazon Dolphin story to the National Geographic, I presented a selection of dramatic underwater images I took last year on an exploratory trip with my friend Mark Carwardine from the UK.  Months later, the idea accepted, I had to endure what is known as "the Pitch" - a phone conference call with all the editors at the Magazine to propose how I would tell my story and what pictures I hoped to get.  

Although I felt like I was defending a PhD, the process was less agonizing than I had expected, but I was left with just one admonishment - "give this story a sense of place."  In other words, my close-ups of dolphins, good as they were, would not be enough : I needed to get shots of the flooded forest where they live.

Well, that was my goal today.  I found some trees and lured (with copious amounts of fish) some dolphins to swim through them.  Only trouble is, I couldn't see the trees.  Visibility here is about 12-16 inches, so I could barely see the dolphins, much less what was behind them.  In the end, I shot through a "V" in a tree trunk and got dolphins with a bit of bark.  Not ideal.  

Thank God I have three weeks to get this done.  But that is the lesson : getting great images is one thing -- telling a visual story is something else again....

Love to all,  

Kevin

2 Comments:

Blogger Lemurlady said...

Dear Kev,
I think it's great hearing about your day to day adventures with the Botos. No doubt that your article (and photos) for "NG" will be incredible! Don't forget, when you're done swimming with your South America friends, your Madagascar friends (the lemurs) desperately await you. They too are on borrowed time and need a FORCE like you to speak on their behalf!

July 7, 2008 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hey Nance,

I just discovered your comments! (OK OK I'm new at blogging....) Glad to know you have been checking in. Today was terrific : I'll try and write about it later, if I can find the time.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the lemurs (although the squirrel monkeys here are pretty darn cute....:))

K.

July 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home