Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Challenges



You always know things are going to go wrong.  You just hope it is a simple fix or somehow inconsequential.  I brought extra almost-everything on this trip : extra batteries, extra camera bodies, extra toothpaste.  I even brought two laptops and two backup drives.  I also brought extra lenses, but naturally, the one lens I use a lot stopped functioning yesterday - so I am trying to have it repaired in Manaus (two hours away by boat) and having Marty send me down a replacement, which will probably take a week...  So it goes.  

Short post today : I have my hands full.  But here is a shot of them delivering my shooting platform on the second day.  It is like a two-level Olympic diving board with planks at 9 feet and 15  feet above the water.  This allows me to shoot straight down on the dolphins, and hopefully will let me get natural behavior and interaction. 

Love to all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

hot UW fashion statement kevin - i'm on my way to fed ex shortly with the replacement lens!

what an amazing platform - fantastic engineering!!
jess

July 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger tonyord said...

After we'd picked ourselves up from the floor we were lost for words to comment on the underwater gear, maybe it was the hat!
Have to say the platform is remarkable,you could teach the locals to bungee jump before you leave.
Sorry to hear that Murphy's Law is bedevilling you.
It all looks very impressive as we're sure the pics will be.
Tony

July 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

It is frustrating not to be able to post some of the pictures here, but my contract is sort of unwavering about "previews...."

Meanwhile, without the hat I would not only fry to death at midday (when I do most of my underwater work) but it also shades the viewfinder making it possible to actually see!

Yes, the platform is impressive, as is the one they built for me in a tree. Only trouble is, I am afraid of heights...

Love to all, Kevin

July 9, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home