Friday, July 18, 2008

Dolphins in the Treetops

The river level on the Rio Negro rises and falls 14 metres (ca 45 feet!) every year between the dry season and the wet.  I am here at the beginning of the dry season when the water is just past its peak.   Today, I photographed a small group of Botos swimming through the leaves and branches of a couple of small trees - essentially swimming through the canopy.  It was an underwater solution to my persistent problem - photographing dolphins in the forest!

Unfortunately the sun was out and the water especially murky and filled with debris (made more pronounced by the sun and a phenomenon called "backscatter") , so on the next cloudy day I will try and do it again.  It was really very cool.

Meanwhile, my helicopter charter flight was cancelled today - hopefully we can do it tomorrow : time is running out and the aerial perspective is ESSENTIAL.

Love to all,

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home