Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Full Moon over the Amazon


The moon rose full tonight over the flooded forest : the same moon that you would have seen wherever you are.  It is probably hotter here, and the howler monkeys were howling as if at the setting sun, but it was just a reminder that the world is small after all.

The photo today is a snap of my fish-wrangler Wellingthon, a 17-year-old local boy that works with the dolphins and loves them deeply  (and knows them all by name) .  He may also be the most relentlessly cheerful person I have ever met.  I asked for him by name when I knew I was coming down, and Christoph was lucky enough to snare his help for three weeks.  Just a great kid, always anxious to help.

Meanwhile, today was mostly spent underwater again, pulling myself down the rope to about 6-8 feet down - far enough so that I look up underneath the dolphins and can photograph them in silhouette against the sky.  Exhausting work, but great results. 

 Tomorrow or Friday I will be chartering a helicopter to shoot aerials of the flooded forest eco-system.  Should be exciting.

Love to all,  Kevin

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Opa we got the catapillers in the mail yesterday and they are already growing. Thank you. I love you, theo. p.s. i saw a play tonight with my mom called "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" i would like to try acting.

July 16, 2008 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hi Theo - Thanks for writing! As your Mom probably told you, I used to like to act in plays when I was young. It is a lot of fun - but hard to remember what to say! Have fun with the caterpillars - and at the beach!
Love Opa

July 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home