Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Last Day

This was the last hurrah... and it was a bit of a roller-coaster.  First, when I went in the water early today, I quickly realized that the housing was flooded.  (I lost a camera and lens last year this way)  In any case, this put an abrupt end to my underwater work, forcing me to abandon the "feeding piranhas to the botos" project (not a bad thing, I think) and to do something else.  (UPDATE : looks like the camera survived the bath...)

What ended up happening was a complete surprise - and a delight.  We went back to a location I had scouted 2 weeks ago, with huge buttressed trees rising out of the water - to my eye the perfect vision of the flooded forest.  I had bombed here several times before - no light, or no botos - but today it was perfect.  Soft overcast light (rare in this land of blazing sun) and a wealth of dolphins.  I hesitate to say it, but I nailed the one single shot I had been looking for.

Now I can go home feeling like I did what I needed to do.  It is up to the NG to see if they have what they need, but whatever happens, this has been an extraordinary experience - equal measures of hard work, boredom, fun, frustration and exhilaration.  

Thanks to all of you for coming along on the ride.  I'll let you know when/if the story gets on the NG schedule!

Love to all ; I'm heading home!

Kevin

1 Comments:

Blogger Lemurlady said...

Dear K.,
Just got back from Durrell in Jersey! The Red Ruffed Lemurs send their regards! Loved getting caught up reading all the Boto Bulletins. I think the Blog idea was fantastic and hope you will continue to do it for all your future trips. Ha! I look forward to seeing your UPCOMING 1st installment of the LEMUR BULLETIN! Here's to ya! Welcome Home! Can't wait to see you and Marty in Greenland!
Nanc

July 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home